REFLEXIVE PRONOUNS

JHON QUINTERO and YENNY LOPEZ


The reflexive pronouns are:





When we use a reflexive pronoun

We use a reflexive pronoun:
1. As a direct object when the object is the same as the subject of the verb:
I am teaching myself to play the piano.
Be careful with that knife. You might cut yourself.
Some verbs change their meaning slightly when they have a reflexive pronoun as direct object:
  • Would you like to help yourself to another drink?
    Would you like to take another drink.
  • I wish the children would behave themselves.
     = I wish the children would behave well.
  • He found himself lying by the side of the road.
    He was surprised when he realised that he was at the side of the road.
  • I saw myself as a famous actor.
    I imagined that I was a famous actor.
  • She applied herself to the job of mending the lights.
    She worked very hard to mend the lights.
  • He busied himself in the kitchen.
     = He worked busily in the kitchen.
  • I had to content myself with a few Euros.
    I had to be satisfied with a few Euros.


2.  We use by + myself/yourself/himself etc when we are alone or not with another person.

  • Jacob went to the party by himself.
  • Emma was sitting by herself.

3. A reflexive preceded by the preposition FOR indicates belonging:
  • - I bought a coat for myself

Remember the most common verbs for used with reflexive nouns: 


apply
If you want to pass your english exam, you must apply yourself.
(you must work hard)

help
Lina helped himself to a beer.
(lina took a beer)

find
This morning I found myself lying on the floor of the bathroom.
(I was surprised when i discovered I was on the floor)

see
When I was a child, I saw myself as a singer.
(I pretended to be a singer. I imagined that I was a singer)





                            EXCERSISES:
Seleccione el pronombre correcto: 

1. You have to do it ________.
  yourself
  myself

2. The police officers couldn't do it ________. 
  himself
  themselves

3. Why can't she tell me ________ .
  herself
  himself

4. You only think about ________.
  herself
  yourself

5. I have to learn to respect ________.
  myself
  yourself

6. I can't see ________ doing that.
  himself
  myself

7. We have got to do this ________.
  themselves
  ourselves

8. The mayor said he would take care of it ________.
  itself
  himself

9. The problem is not going to fix ________.
  itself
  himself

10. The flowers are not going to water ________ .
  itself
  themselves
PRACTICE

  1. Alan made this dish  .
  2. Laura sent the email  .
  3. We shall not quarrel easily among  , and forget our common objective.
  4. Sara, did you write this poem  ?
  5. Yes, I called her  .
  6. He cut  with the knife while he was sharpening it.
  7. My computer often crashes and turns off by  .
  8. She often talks to  when she is upset
  9. John and Alan, I am not going to do the homework for you. You have to do it  .
  10. The students were so noisy. Even Nancy and Leila were making a lot of noise  .
  11. Did the children behave  ?
  12. I caught sight of  in the mirror.

CHOOSE THE CORRECT ANSWER:

1 They were feeling very sorry themselves.
2 She still dresses herself even though she's 93.
3 Behave yourself, Martin, the press is here tonight.
4 I like to keep a few photographs with myself to remind myself of the old days.
5 My son walked to school all by himself today.
6 She quickly washed herself and dressed herself as she was already late for work.
7 Although he kept a large collection of whiskies, he rarely drank himself.
8 There was a large number of stars present. The director by himself was also there.
  A FUNNY GAME

Visit these page and you will found a funny game


QUIZ












Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

GERUNDS AND INFINITIVES (Cindy and Lucas)

Modal Verbs

adjetives